Computer Centre mainly looks after following works
- Operation & Maintenance of the Computer centre.
- Assistance to Users and Computer based Studies of various water resources projects.
- Organizing Computer and other Training Courses for Officers, Officials of Irrigation Department.
The first Computer installed in the premises was imported in 1987 from Hewlett Packard, U.S.A.
Presently,15 Computers and Peripherals including A0 size Scanner & Plotter, Colour Printers, Laser printers are available in the computer centre to meet the present day requirements. The Computer Centre also organizes training courses for the officers and officials of the Irrigation Department to disseminate know-how of computer and to create Computer Environment in the department. Industrial/Vocational Trainings were also organized from time to time for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students from various engineering and other institutions. Computer Centre also deals in measurements of Discharge of rivers, canals etc.
Activities and Facilities available :
- Operation and Maintenance of Computer Centre
Presently, Computers and Peripherals including A0 size Scanner & Plotter, Multimedia projectors, Colour Printers, Laser printers are available in the computer centre to meet the present day requirements and all official works. These computers are having latest windows version and are being updated according to present scenario. Assistance to the users & computer based studies of various water resource projects is also done. The Institute also uses computers for processing of administrative and accounting data. In cooperation with Administrative Division, Irrigation Research Institute Roorkee, the computer centre procures and provides maintenance to computers and related peripherals available with the Officials and Staff.
- Organizing Computer and other Training Courses
The Computer Centre also organizes training courses for the officers and officials of the Irrigation Department to disseminate know-how of computer and to create Computer Environment in the department. Industrial/Vocational Trainings are also organized from time to time for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students from various engineering and other institutions for a period of 3 weeks/4weeks /6 weeks by computer centre .It is free of cost for Officers/staff children. Training mainly includes learning about the testing works in Irrigation Research Institute, Roorkee labs and research works or model studies at Hydraulic Research Station, Bahadrabad.
- Multimedia Projectors
- Scanning ,Coloured, Black & White Print-out of various documents of different size.
- Website, Internet and information exchange through E-mail.
A dedicated web server (www.iriroorkee.res.in) provides a platform for hosting institute information, research publications, important announcements, tender notices etc. and some useful model studies information. Internet and email facilities are routinely utilized for accessing scientific literature as well as for correspondence. The local area network (LAN) provides interconnectivity between the computers in different offices of Institute including computer centre. The LAN is connected to Internet in line link from Fibernet network. To maintain the integrity and security of Institute’s network, a firewall restricts access from outside to machines within the LAN. Computer centre and Telephone exchange of IRI also facilitates a s centralized server, it receives and stores/forwards emails to respective users. Maintenance & Update of website of I.R.I., Roorkee. Our institute is an ISO certified.
- Discharge measurement in Lined/Unlined Canals.
- Digitization of old Research Reports issued by IRI, Research Papers & Manuals, Drawings of various HEP. Record of Technical Memorandum (TM) Reports as being maintained by computer centre in soft copy for quick access to any old TM report in short time.
- Computer centre is also responsible for Annual Report Publication of Irrigation Research Institute, Roorkee.